QAST Coaching Pathway
Available May 2023
This program is designed to retain ski racers in the sport once their competitive ski racing career has come to an end. If you are an athlete who would like to share your passion for skiing with emerging competitive ski racers without the high level commitment required for professional ski racing, then this program is for you.
The QAST Coaching Pathway is designed for ex-racers. You will develop the capability and understanding of coaching methods to NZSIA standard. You will be taught the methodology and pedagology while developing the core skills needed to train young racers and become a qualified race coach. This will include:
- Shadowing experienced QAST coaches across a variety of age groups.
- Learning the key fundamentals required to become a race coach.
- NZSIA Instructor/Coach Qualifications.
- Eligibility for coaching work.
- Born in 2008 or earlier
- Ski Racing Experience
- Confident skiing the whole mountain in all types of snow conditions
Start Date: May 14th 2022
End Date: October 7th 2022
See the Alpine Calendar page for a full program schedule.
Fees: $2000 NZD
- QAST Training and Shadowing
- NZSki Training
- NZSIA Exam Level 1
- NZSIA Kid's Certificate 1
- SnowPlanet Weekend
- Coaching Employment with NZSki Race Department between 9th July and 23rd July 2022 (subject to being 16 years old or older, passing the NZSIA exam Level 1 and completing a successful interview with the NZSki Race Department.
This does not include:
- Season Pass
- Ski Equipment
- NZSIA Manual
- Overseas experience
- Travel, accommodation and ski pass associated with Snow Planet weekend
- You will receive a QAST Rookie coach jacket (to be returned at the end of the season)
- Your season pass will be reimbursed if you gain NZSIA Level 1 and are employed by NZSki Race Department. Ski passes can be purchased here
Following a successful season there will be opportunities for future employment, training and certifications. Here is what this could look like for you: